Nursery Commodity Insurance
Nursery crop insurance is available in all states to all persons operating nurseries that meet certain criteria. Insurance coverage applies, by practice (field-grown or container), to all of your nursery plants in a county that:
- Are on the Eligible Plant List;
- Are grown in a nursery that receives at least 50 percent of its gross income from the wholesale marketing of nursery plants;
- Meet all the requirements for insurability; and Are grown in an appropriate medium.
- Nursery plants may not be insured if they:
- Are grown in containers containing two or more different genera, species, subspecies, varieties, or cultivars;
- Are grown for sale as Christmas trees;
- Are grown as stock plants; or
- Are grown solely for harvest of buds, flowers, or greenery.
Plants producing edible fruits and nuts can be insured if the plants are available for sale. Harvesting the edible fruit or nuts does not affect insurability.